Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Being a Mom that Matters

Happy Mother's Day! Today is a special day that is celebrated by many to show appreciation for the special moms in their lives. It's fun getting special treatment for the day...but I think we also need to remember and keep in mind that it's also a hard day for many--those who long to have children but are unable, those who have lost a child, those who are single and long for that special someone to come along so that they can start a family and also for those who have lost their moms. Please remember these people in prayer on this day and continue to lift them up as it is something they may struggle with every day.


This past week I read a two part devotion. I found it to be very encouraging and included some good points that I'd like to work on to become a better mom for my kids. I wanted to share the main points with you.

Be a mom who loves God.
1 John 4:19 "We love, because God first loved us".

Be a mom who prays continually.
I Thessalonians 5:17 "Never stop praying".

Be a mom who gives time.
Proverbs 22:6 "Train children how to live right, and when they are old, they will not change".

Be a mom who encourages.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 "So encourage each other and give each other strength".

Be a mom who laughs.
Proverbs 17:22 "A happy heart is like good medicine, but a broken spirit drains your strength".

Be a mom who hugs.
Luke 18:15 "One day some parents brought their little children to Jesus so he could touch them and bless them".

Be a mom who disciplines.
Proverbs 6:23 "The correction of discipline is the way to life".

Be a mom who forgives.
Colossians 3:13 "Get along with each other, and forgive each other. If someone does wrong to you, forgive that person because the Lord forgave you".

Being a mom is a hard job! It can bring out the best in us...and unfortunately, also the worst! I'm going to strive to be the best mom I can for my kids...the influence I have on them is going to be with them for the rest of their lives, which in turn affects the influence they will have on their children...and all future generations of my family. That's a HUGE responsibility! If I keep God first in my mothering, and in every area of my life, I believe everything else will fall into place. I am committed to seeking God's plan for my life...and becoming a mom who really matters. Will you commit, with me, to seek God's plan for your life to become a mom who REALLY matters?

To read this devotion in it's entirety, go to www.crosswalk.com and do a search with "Being a Mom that Matters". The dates are May 4 & 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment